Thursday, July 8, 2010

More Trolls. WIPs.

So, more Trollkin. Here are my first three champions for the TGN Battle Challenge. As you can see, there's not a whole lot to see...yet. I figured to help keep me motivated I'll post every couple of days regardless of what state things are in. Also, I thought I might try giving a step-by-step of how I paint my figs.

For these guys the first thing I did was base the skin of the guy on the left, but I decided that was a stupid idea as the metal is far more prominent so I should get that out of the way first. This also has an added benefit as far as cranking up the speed a notch. I'll get to that in a minute.

So my first area to paint is the metal. I used Citadel's chainmail. I like chainmail because later on when I do the wash later it won't totally mute it; so while some people might think boltgun or an equivalent would be better, I pick the slightly brighter color. Next, I tackle the leather with Citadel Foundation color Calthan brown. Again, a good midtone that the wash won't mute too much. Lastly, before the wash, I picked out some pieces of metal to hit with Citadel's Dwarf bronze. This just helps break up the monotony of seeing all the metal done in steel/iron colors.

Once the base coat was done, (which I recommend trying to keep at least somewhat neat as it will save you time later cleaning up misses,) I went in with a wash. I used Citadel Badab black wash and Devlan mud wash in an even 50/50 mix. (I love this mix and I actually keep a bottle of this stuff pre-mixed. It's just that good.) I slathered the wash all over the model. This wash does a good chunk of my shading work for me.

And, that's it for today! Next up will be skin. Oh, and just to be an ass, yes, the models are sitting on my brand new copy of FoW: Mercenaries and the book being used as a backdrop is indeed the new collector's edition of Warhammer Fantasy. (The boys in England got that to me right quick.)

2 comments:

  1. Great Work, Mike. Really looking forward to seeing more, of course.

    and yeah I did notice the WHFB Collector's Edition. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Scott.

    The Warhammer collector's edition is amazing. If it wasn't already sold out I'd do a review just to get people who might be on the fence to go get one. My only disappointment was I hoped they might have some of the Isle of Blood minis pictured in the color section, but I can't find any. The new Kairos, Changeling, and Seekers of Slannesh are in the demon section though.

    ReplyDelete